The application process for 2020 is now closed. Subscribe to the Amplify blog for updates and additional resources sent directly to your inbox.
Amplify is an eight-week program that focuses on individual, leadership, and organizational capacity-building to address issues of gender in the advancement profession. Women will learn key concepts and apply them at their place of work through personal reflection, small group discussion, and action-learning assignments.
Thirty diverse women will be selected to serve as Amplify Leads. They will receive training to recruit other advancement women at their institution, facilitate weekly discussion groups, and support the success of their small group participants. Our vision is to engage 150 women from across CASE D1 as Amplify Leads and small group participants.
Before you apply:
- Amplify Leads must participate in every element of the program. Please review the Amplify Schedule and hold these dates on your calendar.
- There is a $399 registration fee for Amplify Leads. While limited scholarship support is available, please seek funding from your institution prior to applying.
- The application includes essay questions that are limited to 250 words each. It is recommended that you save your answers in a Word document and then copy/paste them into the online application.
Amplify Lead Description
- Employed in Advancement at a CASE D1 institution for the duration of the program
- Presentation, facilitation, teaching, or training experience
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Conversant with gender-related topics and issues
- Recruit and retain 3-6 Amplify group members who represent diverse identities, functional areas, and roles at home institution
- Serve as point-of-contact for Amplify group members, sharing updates, reminders, and other communications as needed
- Participate in pre- and post-meetings with Program Managers to prep for and debrief weekly group meetings
- Schedule and facilitate weekly group meetings, including reserving rooms, creating calendar invites, and managing technology
- Attend required in-person trainings (Amplify Retreat in Boston March 9-10, 2020)
- Troubleshoot issues that may arise with the program or within the group and update/involve Program Managers as needed
- Ensure Amplify group members complete pre- and post-program evaluations
- Serve as a positive role model for CASE D1, Amplify, and home institution
- Demonstrate high levels of interpersonal competence, cross-cultural sensitivity, and professionalism
Amplify Lead Application
The application requires short-essay responses of no more than 250 words each. The essay questions are included below. Applications are due January 15, 2020.
1. Share your top three reasons for wanting to participate in the Amplify program.
2. Describe the personal characteristics, dimensions of diversity, and/or life experiences that you would bring to the Amplify program.
3. Explain the ways in which you have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and inclusion professionally and/or personally.
4. Describe your experience with group facilitation, teaching, training, and/or presenting.
5. Feminist theorist Dr. Marilyn Frye uses a birdcage as a metaphor for oppression with the individual wires representing the barriers women face in the world. She warns against looking microscopically at the individual wires, which on their own may not appear insurmountable. Rather, she encourages women to view them macroscopically, to see how the wires intertwine to create a birdcage, restricting and restraining women’s lives.
- What “wires” have you experienced that relate to gender and other forms of oppression?
- How might Amplify help you to better see and navigate the “birdcage” for yourself and others?
Women often feel they must have 100% of the qualifications before they apply for a job. Don’t be this woman. If you are interested, please apply to the Amplify program.